Thursday, May 3, 2007

Special Message From Man Bush

Halo Evriwan,
I have had my last kakai (meal) with Kerepua and my good bye ceremony, it was terribly difficult. I never thought that I could be roused to tears by a string band song, but the boys from Elia Village composed a very nice song for me and then presented 3 - five foot long hand carved arrows. They're really cool, but will definitely be a challenge to get them home, along with my 4 hand carved wooden plates, lapita pottery, etc. I always manage, but now the airline regulations are getting so strict with size and weight restriction, we'll see what actually makes it. I found it much more difficult to leave Kerepua than my old village of Lovanlikoutu on Ambae, which I attribute to the size and location of Kerepua (small and remote). I have never been on such intimate terms with people like that before, regardless of our differences, in spite of the people that drove me crazy like Kalotiti, or the evil Toi - who just confessed to poisoning multiple people in the village, 2 of which died in the last few months. Despite all of this, we are all interdependent on one another, as is dictated by kastom and the island. Upon my departure, 3 of the guys, (including Kalotiti) took the 3 day trip to see me off to the airport. It's all still too fresh and emotional to convey, and I'm still a part of it, which gives a muddled perspective.
I left Kerepua about 10 days ago and flew to Port Vila to prepare to teach "Farming as a Business" at the Vanuatu Agricultural College on Santo. Last Mon-Thurs. I was the head facilitator for this course, participants consisted of the head agricultural officers from each province, ag teachers from the Rural Training Centers (vocational schools), and Peace Corps Agri-business volunteers, no light task. And certainly not what one wants to be doing during the last 2 weeks in the country, but I'm the sucker that agreed, so I can't complain.

- Matt

No comments: